In The Kitchen – Preacher’s Cake

by Deb McCormick on August 31, 2011

in Cooking in my blue jeans

I’m going to re-name this recipe to Pineapple Dream. Is that OK? I have nothing against preachers. I love preachers. My uncle is a preacher.

But Pineapple Dream sounds so…dreamy…and tasty. I got this recipe from my mom, (AKA Mimi, or AKA Ms Williams Sonoma) She has many names.

Make it and enjoy it. I have and I am!

Pineapple Dream

cake ingredients:

2 cups sugar

2 cups flour

2 eggs

2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp salt

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup nuts ( I didn’t use them – don’t like nuts in my food!)

1 (20 oz) can crushed pineapple, undrained

frosting ingredients:

8 oz cream cheese, softened

1  3/4 cup powdered sugar

1/4 cup butter, melted

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 cup nuts ( didn’t use them – don’t like nuts in my frosting!)

2 tsp vanilla

Mix up cake ingredients and pour in a greased baking dish. And get this! You can just stir it up! No blender required!  Bake 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. ( do the toothpick test to check for done-ness. Or just eyeball it, if you are a really good cook)

Let it cool a while.

Mix the frosting ingredients and frost it. Also, no blender needed. I just used a whisk.

And if you have time to browse, you should visit Become.com and read their Baking Tips. Lot’s of good information!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Joy August 31, 2011 at 11:00 am

Sounds delicious, even though I hate pineapple! LOL
Joy laughed psychotically while writingIt’s time…My Profile

Sally August 31, 2011 at 11:04 am

OMG! I make little pineapple cakes yesterday, and have to agree they are tasty, made icing with pineapple juice on mine, and did not crush the pineapple as it was a “value” brand so very small pieces. mmmmm

Anonymous May 30, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Don’t think it means you crush the pineapple. You can buy it already crushed instead of chunks.

Lydia @ See Beautiful August 31, 2011 at 11:48 am

Your pineapple dream just mocked my lunch – it looks THAT delicious.

Can’t wait to try it.
Lydia @ See Beautiful laughed psychotically while writingBe You, Not ThemMy Profile

Ruth August 31, 2011 at 3:34 pm

That looks good. This would have to be a me dessert . Or maybe one for me and the sis. No one else but me will eat nuts in food either so I never use them. I am also the only pineapple eater. :)
Ruth laughed psychotically while writingTen Things Tuesday- All About LoveMy Profile

Augmented Gen August 31, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Oh that looks delish! Pineapple, really?! Nothing against pineapple, I love it on pizza… Will have to try the cake. It sounds like nothing I have ever had before ;)
Augmented Gen laughed psychotically while writingThe Smell Of SuccessMy Profile

Runnermom-jen August 31, 2011 at 4:55 pm

That looks really good! And I’m with you on the nuts!
Runnermom-jen laughed psychotically while writingExperimentingMy Profile

Tough Cookie Mommy August 31, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Thanks so much for dropping by the Monday Mingle Blog Hop! I’m a follower and I hope you’ll stop by
again soon! Have a great day! :)

P.S. I would love to connect on Facebook too, if we haven’t already. http://facebook.com/toughcookiemommy
Tough Cookie Mommy laughed psychotically while writingDenizen™ by Levi’s® Boy’s Jeans ReviewMy Profile

Caitlin August 31, 2011 at 5:08 pm

Nom Nom! Now that’s the type of pineapple I dream about! Love pineapple cakes. I normally make a pineapple and banana cake, but banana’s are as dear as poison in Oz at the moment since the floods, so this recipe will be perfect!
Caitlin laughed psychotically while writingWhy Great Nanas are so GreatMy Profile

Laura August 31, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Oh yeah, that looks amazing. And I like you even more now that I know you, too, don’t like nuts in your food. Saving this one for later!
Laura laughed psychotically while writingToo Busy to BlogMy Profile

Angie September 1, 2011 at 7:23 am

This sounds very good! I’ll have to give it a try :)
Angie laughed psychotically while writingI’m StraightMy Profile

Kim of Mo'Betta September 4, 2011 at 11:07 am

YUM! I love pineapple, could you instant message me some?!
Kim of Mo’Betta laughed psychotically while writinglet’s get organizedMy Profile

Deb September 5, 2011 at 9:19 am

If there was a way, I would surely do it, my friend!

Mona G. September 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm

I like the name preacher’s cake better :) My daughter’s husband is a preacher,that’s what I call him, but she says it’s minister……so I will give her this recipe…

Wonder if there is something besides pineapple you could use????? Does anyone who reads this know???? Not really a fan of pineapple……Thanks

jeanadan March 28, 2012 at 8:43 am

I cook and bake for a living, what size baking dish isn’t mentioned in your post.

Anonymous May 30, 2013 at 6:40 pm

9×13 pan

Ghila April 26, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Sounds yummi… No oil or butter???

Connie June 25, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Been making this cake for years! So easy and everybody loves it! The cream cheese frosting is my favorite part!

Penny October 13, 2012 at 2:40 pm

This is also called Mexican Wedding Cake (there are also cookies by that name) – also Hawaiian Wedding Cake.

Deb October 13, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Thanks for the info. I didn’t know that.

Anonymous May 30, 2013 at 6:39 pm

This is a great, but I only used 1 1/4 cups of sugar. If you use a good brand of pineapple it will be plenty with the sweet icing. Have made it many times since I first found it on Just A Pinch.