The correct answer is not always the right answer

by Deb McCormick on August 30, 2011

in Humor Essays, Parenting

K5 is going well. The kids seems to really like it and the teachers, and they are making friends. I was helping them with their homework last night. I have to do the same homework sheet three times in a row. Because I have triplets. In case you are new to my blog and did not know that. Triplets….three times in a row….welcome to the McCormick Tutoring Service.  No, there are no spots available. We are full.

They are learning the sounds letters make. We are on sound B this week.

Circle the pictures that start with  B

Our conversations went like this, each time I called one of them to the “school table”.

“Ok Luke, I need you to look at each picture, and circle it IF it starts with the   ‘BA’ sound”

“What is this picture”?

“BA, BA,… Apple”

“No no no, don’t circle it! Does is start with the sound  ‘BA’?

“BA, Apple”…. “yes”

“No, listen to me…you don’t say the sound of B and then the name of the picture. Don’t say BA. Ok, now look at this picture and tell me what it is.”

“Apple”

“YES!! Very good – now, does apple start with ‘BA’?

“yes”

“No…it doesn’t! Listen to the sound BA. Does apple start with BA or Aaaaa?

“Aaaa”

“Good!”…………………….Luke? Don’t circle the apple! You are not circling the apple because it starts with Aaaaa, not BA”.   “Do you understand?”

“Ok, now look at this picture and think about it really good. Does this picture start with the ‘BA’ sound?”

“no”

“Luke… listen to me. Yes it does.  Look at the picture and say what it is and listen closely to the sound.”

“Ok, now try it again.”

~

~

“Parrot”

~

I had to go through the same conversation three times.  These kids are way too much alike. And I need to talk to Mrs. Crowell about the whole parrot or bird thing.  It’s hard enough helping them with their sounds and then I have to  explain that “Yes that IS actually a parrot but in THIS example it is just a bird and it begins with BA, NOT PA, so we have to circle it.

~

“BA parrot”

~

“Just circle the Parrot!  Now go play.”

Somebody send me sympathy money… please.

They underestimate just how smart little 5 year olds can be.

Paypal linky will be up shortly.

RaeBeth McGee August 30, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I just went through the same thing with my daughter. She is doing the letter A along with learning the top, middle, and bottom of objects. They say the homework averages about 5-10 mins a night but in reality it’s more like 20-25mins. Ohhhh I love kids. :)
RaeBeth McGee laughed psychotically while writingMy Fav YouTube Video’sMy Profile

dweej @ HouseUnseen August 30, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Girl, I cannot believe you are the one who has to TEACH them this stuff! That’s crazy. What are they doing while they’re IN school?????

I just feel so bad for you that you’re basically doing homeschool in the afternoon after they spend all day in regular school. Ugh.
dweej @ HouseUnseen laughed psychotically while writing10 Cheapskate Things I’ve SaidMy Profile

Laura August 30, 2011 at 7:05 pm

I love the parrot comment. I thought the same!
Laura laughed psychotically while writingToo Busy to BlogMy Profile

Ruth August 30, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I feel for you. It can be so hard to help them when no matter what, they just don’t seem to get it.
And you have to do it 3 times.
Ruth laughed psychotically while writingIt’s Liebster Time!My Profile

Tracey August 31, 2011 at 3:52 am

LOL====Evan’s weekly newsletter said “children will receive homework daily. please do not feel overwhelmed by the homework. ENJOY this individual time with your child!!” Umm, yeah not so much!
Tracey laughed psychotically while writingTop tunes TuesdayMy Profile

Angie August 31, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Oh goodness!!! I haven’t been a subscriber very long & didn’t realize you had triplets. I know how difficult working with one on homework is, I can’t imagine 3. I think you need sympathy money LOL!
Angie laughed psychotically while writingA bunch of randomMy Profile

Barb September 1, 2011 at 8:12 pm

As a teacher and a mom, this is hilarious…in an “oh shit, I totally feel for you” kinda way. And I hate homework.
Barb laughed psychotically while writingForever FriendsMy Profile

Kimberlee September 2, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Homework times three!! Pp Pp Praying for you!
Kimberlee laughed psychotically while writingOh My Quotable Friday: Love, love, loveMy Profile