We are family

by Deb McCormick on December 28, 2011

in MISC

I want to share some pictures from our Christmas celebration at Mimi and Pop’s house. You remember Mimi, right? I talk about her often. heh heh. But first, let me tell you that the Vtech InnoTabs I bought the kids this Christmas were such a blessing. I should have done this 2 years ago. I think I’m seriously in the Twilight zone because never have all 4 kids been awake and quiet. I’m deliriously giddy.

Our day at Mimi and Pop’s

Christmas is for kids. And in our family, there are a lot of them. In the picture below, my four from left to right: Wade, Luke, Olivia, Zoe. Trey and Audrey are my other two but they are adults and it would look a little silly if we lined them up too. But don’t think for one second I didn’t think of embarrassing them that way.

To keep things semi-organized, we lined all the kids up and put their pile right in front of them. The rules were to open one gift and wait until everyone was done and also for ME to tell them when to start on the second gift. I had all the power. All of a sudden I was THE favorite mom/aunt in the world. I refrained from messing with their heads which is what I would normally do. I put my own needs aside. It was hard but I survived.

These are my two boys. They look so sweet. Wait, ARE these my boys? I’m confused because they aren’t fighting.

We always play Dirty Santa, after the kids are finished opening presents. We are ruthless. It is war. I have a few “tame” pictures to show. It got too ugly for me to keep taking pictures. I had to defend myself instead of holding the camera.

And Mimi and Pop are THE coolest grandparents around because they have a Wii. At the end of the night we let the kids play.

Zoe cracks us up. She gets so into it, and her butt is just a shaking and her arms just a swinging.

It’s easy to tell if things are going well when Luke plays.

And after all the toys are opened, Olivia forgoes all the new stuff and builds herself a fort out of old toys and shoes.

And last but not least, I give you….Mimi’s socks

I  hope you all had a lovely, fun and crazy Christmas…because that’s the only way to have one.

Happy Holidays!

Andrea . Charcoal & Crayons December 28, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Hilarious! I love family Christmas time… so much fun! I’ll have to remember your strategy for the kids opening their gifts… sounds organized and fun for Mom!
Andrea . Charcoal & Crayons laughed psychotically while writingNight OwlMy Profile

Laura December 28, 2011 at 5:49 pm

that looks like a fabulous Christmas! thanks for sharing your photos and commentary.
Laura laughed psychotically while writingNashville Vacation: December 24, 2011My Profile

Kim December 29, 2011 at 9:51 am

What a fun Christmas! Dirty Santa is a lot of fun, esp. when the kids sniff out the fact that you might actually really like your gift, then they can’t wait to take it away! Although mine couldn’t bear someone taking THEIR gift away at ALL!! It would end in tears and huffiness and ugliness. Great pics and love those socks–soooo comfy!!

Have a Happy New Years!
Kim laughed psychotically while writingWordless WednesdayMy Profile

Liz @ A Nut in a Nutshell December 29, 2011 at 12:40 pm

You are the best! I love your sense of playfulness and how you teased Dylan, but it worked, right?

I always made the kids take turns with presents too. It’s too crazy when paper is flying and massive gift opening takes place at once!

Deb January 3, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Thanks Liz! My kids will need therapy when grown to try and get past all the torture I’ve put them through lol

Cyndi December 29, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Hilarious…OK…I must defend myself. I only took your gift 3 times. Once, after which YOUR husband, who proudly boasted that he only ate American food…quickly took my Quesadilla maker!! Then, my father-in-law, YOUR Dad, took my Micro-fiber towels and LED flashlights. THEN, after you told my 7 year old son that his new watch would stop working, his arms would burn off, and his toys would dissapear!! GEEZ……….No respect.
Although, you know I still Love ya, right?!!?!?!?
Maybe we should get together to make Quesadillas and Apple Crisp and sign a Peace Treaty?? :)

Deb January 3, 2012 at 10:49 pm

lol – Love you!

vic December 30, 2011 at 7:31 pm

i do the whole wait until everyone opens for the next gift too! looks like a really nice time:) i especially love that christmas is for the kids–nothing better!
vic laughed psychotically while writingFeatured Blog-Happy Bow luckyMy Profile