Homemade Donuts

January 19, 2012

in Cooking in my blue jeans, Favorite Foods

Have you ever made homemade donuts? Do you know how easy they are to make? Let me show you an easy weezy way to make them, courtesy of Jackie Clagett, (AKA, Mimi.)

When you are at the grocery store, pick up some biscuit dough in a can called Grand, southern style.  All you have to do is find something to punch a hole out of the center of each biscuit. A tiny round cookie cutter would work, or anything that is a small cylinder shape.

Heat up about an inch or so, of oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.

Cook each side. This doesn’t take long at all. I was surprised at how fast they cooked.

Oh heavens this is looking goooooood!

After both sides are golden brown, place them on a paper towel lined plate.

Now – how you fix them is up to you. We dipped them in a bowl of melted butter and then dipped them in a second bowl of a sugar and cinnamon mixture.

We also made up a bowl of glaze by mixing powdered sugar and a little milk. We spread this on a few other donuts and the kids had fun decorating them with sprinkles and chocolate chips.

When you make these – do me a favor. You must eat one of these donuts right after you put your toppings on it. I ate one after it was dipped in butter and cinnamon sugar. It was still warm from just being fried and let me tell you – I decided at that moment that there is absolutely nothing in the universe that could taste any better. I think I cried a little too.

Now I know this isn’t exactly a very healthy choice as far as desserts go. But I say, SO WHAT!
I remember a past episode of Oprah where she had Paula Deen on her show. After a recipe Paula cooked up that was true southern style loaded with fat and grease, Oprah questioned her on the health and calorie content of it. Paula laughed and said “I’m your cook, not your doctor!”

I’ve loved Paula ever since. So go ahead and be bad once in a while.

Enjoy!

Debbie M. January 19, 2012 at 1:33 pm

You are so right, these are yummy! I use to make them each year when I taught Kindergarten. The children loved them and so did I!!!! Don’t forget the holes you punch out…you can cook those up, as well, for some little treats. Now I’m craving doughnuts!! :)
Debbie M. laughed psychotically while writingWhine and Cheese-2nd ServingMy Profile

Deb January 22, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Yes – the holes! I made them too but didn’t make enough glaze so they ended up just staying plain. Next time I’ll make sure they are not wasted.

Lydia @ See Beautiful January 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Um, this does look busy! Is it just the picture? I can only imagine what would be happening in the background of the pictures if i tried this at home. You inspired. I’ll give it a whirl.

Happy seeing (and eating) beautiful!
Lydia @ See Beautiful laughed psychotically while writingIt’s a Beautiful DayMy Profile

Deb January 22, 2012 at 9:58 pm

It was actually very calm and a very quick cooking project. I was amazed at how flawless it all was. But I’m sure it could have easily gone bad, with my crew. They were on their best behavior that day. ;)

Tracey January 19, 2012 at 7:17 pm

we got a donut oven/maker for Christmas and the kids LOVE it!!! if it were up to them we would make dounuts everyday. However, I tried the powdered sugar glaze last time and my youngest informed that it was NOT good donut frosting and next time I needed to make the good stuff. I guess he wants cake frosting on his!
Tracey laughed psychotically while writingThe great state of denialMy Profile

Deb January 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Frosting sounds yummy! Our glaze was a but thin. Next time I will make it thicker.

Anne Mercado January 20, 2012 at 7:30 am

Oh wow, you make it look so easy. Will queue this up for recipes I should try. Thank you.

Katie January 20, 2012 at 12:59 pm

YUM and AMEN! Love your last paragraph and agree completely. :) Thanks for the recipe and inspiration. My hubby will LOVE these.
Katie laughed psychotically while writingWhen You Lose a Follower…My Profile

Anna Smith January 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

mmm I love anything that’s loaded in calories and these look great. Defo gona give it a go :)
Anna Smith laughed psychotically while writingLinky LinkMy Profile

Deb January 22, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Me Too! haha

Ross January 21, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I think I’ve died and gone to heaven! These look fantastic and easy to make, guess what I’m making for breakfast tomorrow morning. Thanks!

Deb January 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Now that sounds like a good breakfast to me!

Katherines Corner January 22, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Yummy, love all of the photos of your sweet cutie pie helpers too.I used to make something similar many years ago. You might like to try this -bag of rhodes bake and serve dough balls. Smash each one flat, do all the same as you did here. and taa daa scones. Just top with honey butter or butter and powdered sugar Hugs and smooches and wishes for a beautiful week ahead.

Deb January 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm

oooh – I will have to try that. Thanks!

Natalie Pozniak January 31, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I too made donuts this weekend! Looks like the kids enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing.
Natalie Pozniak laughed psychotically while writingCalzoneMy Profile