The Elf Wars

by Deb McCormick on December 5, 2012

in musings from my somewhat sane mind

I think we all understand the concept of Mommy Wars, don’t we?  All the usual stuff like how you choose to feed your baby, vaccine choices, co-sleeping, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. But this just in –  hang on to your hats…we now have – mommy wars over “To Elf or NOT TO Elf.”

Yes, this is the reality. If you play Elf On The Shelf, you could be classified as an over achieving Elf mom. If you don’t play Elf On The Shelf, you are depriving precious Suzy of the Christmas magic that all children deserve and WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!

And then you can add Self Aggravation to the mix.  Because, if you play Elf On The Shelf but forget to move him several times, you feel like you do when scouting Pinterest. Totally defeated. Then you start questioning yourself. “Why can’t I remember to move Elf after the kids go to bed?”  He weighs…like… 6 ounces. You could blow on him and shift him over a foot and not even need to touch him. “So why is it so hard to work this in my busy schedule?” you’ll ask yourself. You could even thump him while passing by on your way to the kitchen. He would fall over and then you could tell your kids, “Awwww look! Your Elf is sleeping!” Or dead. But dead may be sort of hard for kids to deal with, so don’t do that. I know it will be tempting after three weeks of Elf moving and yet another week to go, but think of your kids! And the Christmas spirit!

It’s not THAT hard. So why is it hard? It’s like packing school lunches. It’s great the first week but after a few months it becomes a chore that just will never end.

And don’t even think about taking ridiculous photos of your Elf taking a bubble bath in marshmallows or fishing for goldfish from your toilet bowl and then posting it on your blog, because you will be totally talked about by the Anti-Elf Haters. They will be thinking, “HA, wish I had THAT much of time in MY busy life.”  Or,  “Hey everybody, let’s all marvel over Miss perfect little sunshine mommy with the perfect little life.”

And of course, Elf On The Shelf, had to change to be politically correct because somewhere, someone complained about discriminating against girls because Elf On The Shelf was of the male gender. So now, yes, there are male AND female Elves.

Also – You may want to refrain from blogging about why you don’t agree with the Elf-Shelf, because you will be talked about by the Pro-Elf Enrichment Committee as they tsk-tsk  you and sadly shake their heads. And they will be thinking, “She is SUCH a prude and I feel sorry for her kids this Christmas.”  Or  “I’m so glad I don’t know her IRL, because we could never be friends.”

It’s a no-win situation, people! NO WIN.

Me personally? I have an Elf. Shut up, haters. His name is Moopa. I fear he doesn’t enjoy my family, though, because we bore him. The highlight of his day is moving from the shelf, to the top of the fridge, to the light fixture, then back to the shelf again.We’re like those strict parents that never let their kids have any fun.

Moopa: But whyyyyyy? Just let me unroll one roll of TP, please? please? Oh pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease???

Me: No

Moopa: How about letting me drink chocolate milk and spill it on the counter?

Me: No

Moopa: What about…

Me: No.

Moopa: But –

Me: NO

Moopa: You’re-no-fun-you-have-ruined-my-life-I-hate-you!! sniff. Can I borrow your phone? I’m going to ask Santa for another family. One that is…not like YOU!

So I guess my point is, I am middle of the road in the Elf war. I have one, but his actions will be rather tame. Nothing messy that I have to clean up. I am Switzerland, Edward. Completely neutral.

We moms are passionate about many things when it comes to child rearing. Now we can add Elf Parenting to the mix.

Yay.

Jamie "ChatterBlossom December 5, 2012 at 8:44 am

Hahahaha!! This was a pleasure to read this morning! Haters gonna hate, Moopa. Live your life and call Santa! ;-)
-Jamie
Jamie “ChatterBlossom laughed psychotically while writingWordless Wednesday – Goofy Dancer TrioMy Profile

Deb December 6, 2012 at 9:09 am

Thanks Jamie :)
Deb laughed psychotically while writing The Elf WarsMy Profile

Wrinkled Mommy (@MsMcMadness) December 5, 2012 at 8:45 am

new blog post~~ The Elf Wars http://t.co/D9jQnAZz #overanalyzinglife

Shannon December 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

I am very grateful that we missed the whole “elf shelf” thing. My youngest is ten and no longer believes. That makes me a little sad but at least I get to be Switzerland in the Elf Wars!
Shannon laughed psychotically while writingMeet My Grandchildren: Money, Rich, Fame, and FortuneMy Profile

Deb December 6, 2012 at 9:10 am

A little sad yes, but think of all the stress you are able to avoid. :)
Deb laughed psychotically while writing The Elf WarsMy Profile

Mamaw Bee December 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Love your post! All my babies are grown with babies of their own so I missed out on the Elf Wars. But I want in on the fun. So I have a little elf who is showing up on my blog mamawsplace4.blogspot.com in various pictures. He’s there some days more than once and some days not at all. On December 26, I will count the comments of people who saw him and whoever has the most comments (or a drawing if there is a tie) will win a Thirty-One Gift from our new spring catalog just for watching my Elf Antics in December. Stop by and join the fun if you can.
Mamaw Bee laughed psychotically while writingLots going on…..My Profile

Deb December 6, 2012 at 9:11 am

How fun. I’l have to check it out. thanks.
Deb laughed psychotically while writing The Elf WarsMy Profile

Taylor Gilmore (@MsTaylorGilmore) December 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

The Elf Wars http://t.co/dtuJtQCG via @MsMcMadness

Roz Walker (@onlinebizcoach) December 5, 2012 at 9:40 pm

The Elf Wars http://t.co/uvvdDBpI via @MsMcMadness

Tracey December 5, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Oh this made me laugh!!! Especially since it was my elf experience too! My elf will NOT be making any snow angels in flour on my counter, no marshmallow bubble baths, no toilet paper on my Christmas tree, etc. And at this point in the elf experience I am running out of non-messy ideas and enthusiasm for the project.
Tracey laughed psychotically while writingPinterest and the ElfMy Profile

Deb December 6, 2012 at 9:12 am

I almost forgot to move mine last night – and he has only been here for two days so far. lol
Deb laughed psychotically while writing The Elf WarsMy Profile

@DebChitwood December 6, 2012 at 12:34 am

The Elf Wars http://t.co/KxlUewVL via @MsMcMadness

Sunithi Selvaraj (@ssunithi) December 6, 2012 at 1:34 am

The Elf Wars http://t.co/9keV1XqX via @MsMcMadness

Christian SuperMom (@ChrstianSuprMom) December 6, 2012 at 7:45 am

The Elf Wars http://t.co/GQkV9v3q via @MsMcMadness

Kerry December 6, 2012 at 10:09 am

Hahaha! You always make me laugh. =) Love it.
Kerry laughed psychotically while writingFreeky Friday: Music to My EarsMy Profile

Shanna @ Motherhood on the Rocks December 6, 2012 at 10:51 pm

I’m with ya! Nothing too crazy or too messy! But it is fun!
Shanna @ Motherhood on the Rocks laughed psychotically while writingPapa Don’t Preach: How a Two-Year-Old Taught Me to Love Christmas AgainMy Profile

Meredith December 8, 2012 at 10:19 am

Ha! The Elf Wars! You are so right, Deb. This is what it’s become! And I snorted over your comment about just blowing or thumping to move the Elf to move him. Should be so easy, right? But like you said, just one more thing…I think ours has been on the windowsill for almost a week!
Meredith laughed psychotically while writingFeeling “Got”My Profile

Karen Hug-Nagy December 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Oh that’s funny, we do have an elf but one of his arms is missing compliments of one of our doggies! So he is even creepier! A couple of years ago, or last year, my kids would jump up on the kitchen counter and pose like the elf, quietly and creepily and scare the hell out of me! What’s next?
Karen Hug-Nagy laughed psychotically while writingWhat Moms Really Want For Christmas!!My Profile