McDonalds and the ordering mystery

by Deb McCormick on August 16, 2014

in musings from my somewhat sane mind

I’m standing in the line at McDonald’s quickly scanning the picture menu up on the wall. I scan and stop at my favorite. The quarter pounder bacon and cheese. It gets me every time.

MC burger

Between standing in line with four children barking out questions (“What’s the Happy Meal toy today, Mommy?!)  and brushing elbows with the people before me who are standing off to the side waiting on their number to be called, I try to make my ordering process as painless as possible. For me and the new trainee, who by the way I would like to add – great choice McDonalds in Kernersville! This guy was so sweet and adorable. And tall.

Now the reason I am writing about this, is because the same thing happened to me at another McDonalds just 2 weeks ago in another town closer to my home.

Two weeks ago, when I ordered my quarter pounder with cheese, I said this exactly. “Instead of the mustard and ketchup can you make it with mayonnaise?”

“No ketchup and mustard? You want it plain?”

“No, I want everything on it that comes on it; I want the lettuce, bacon, onions, and cheese, but instead of the mustard and ketchup, I want mayonnaise.”

I watched as the cashier tapped the cash register so it would know how to make my burger.

M i n u s   k e t c h u p…m i n u s   m  u s t a r d… a d d    m a y o n n a i s e….

I got my order and went with the kids to sit down. After getting everyone’s food spread out, chocolate milks open, straws, napkins, and ketchup from the condiment bar, and Happy Meal toys unwrapped, I  opened my own food.

My burger only had mayonnaise on it.

No lettuce. No pickles. No onions.  Just mayonnaise. I ate it anyway because it wasn’t worth the hassle to go back up there.

Fast forward to yesterday. When talking with the super sweet over-achiever trainee, (who by  the way was more interested in making sure my kids all got the Happy Meal toy they wanted than worrying about the long line of people behind us) I again said I wanted this burger made with mayonnaise instead of mustard and ketchup, emphasizing the words (instead of) as I spoke.

I watched the little customer view window on the back of the register  – Tap tap tap…. m i n u s   m u s  t a  r d…m i n u s   k e t c h u p…tap tap…a d d   m a  y o n n a i s e, tap tap tap. I got my food, went and sat down.

My burger only had mayonnaise.

Modern technology is often times not as good as the older simpler way. Such as pencil and paper and sticking the little paper order sheets on the clips next to the cook’s window. Remember those?

Primitive. Simple. Written in “cook abbreviated code”, and very few mistakes.

But I know for a fact that restaurants today would never go back to the old way.

So next time?  I’m just ordering chicken nuggets.

LindySez August 18, 2014 at 12:11 pm

A Blopper here showing the love! I totally get what you are saying…if it’s not what it is, they just don’t get it. I find that it’s easiest to say, plain, and then get a packet to doctor it up. It seems to work at most places anyway. Cheers ~ Lindy
LindySez laughed psychotically while writingLinguine with Grilled TunaMy Profile

Deb McCormick August 21, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Yes – great idea. I’ll have to do that from now on.
Deb McCormick laughed psychotically while writingMcDonalds and the ordering mysteryMy Profile

Heather Johnson August 19, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Our McDonald’s never gets our orders right either. We have complained so many times. It has really become a joke between me and my husband now.

Deb McCormick August 21, 2014 at 9:36 pm

I am learning to lower my expectations. haha

Uplifting Families August 20, 2014 at 12:02 am

I am sorry they messed up your burger twice. The cashier did it correctly on her end; however, the one making the sandwich screwed up TWICE. Hello they were given specific instructions to add mayo and leave off the ketchup and mustard only. Someone in the kitchen needs a refresher. It’s really not that complicated to make burgers.

Deb McCormick August 21, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Exactly. thank you!

audrey, your daughter August 21, 2014 at 12:47 pm

SO glad I never have to experience this frustrating situation again :) . And my children also won’t suffer this conundrum. (Sp ?)

Roshni August 21, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Sometimes, people just do things mechanically; no thought process needed, apparently! :D
Roshni laughed psychotically while writingHindu widows in India: food restrictionsMy Profile

audrey, your daughter August 22, 2014 at 3:59 am

I don’t know why I didn’t finish my comment above???? Lol…must have gotten distracted. Here’s the rest of what I was going to put …”three reasons why: 1. We don’t have a McDonalds 2. McDonalds Is the devil (lol) and 3. Even if I DID drive to the nearest McD’s, you can totally forget about customer service in Spain! Every sandwich comes like its supposed to whether the customer likes it or not! Some would call this lazy or complacent…I just think Spanish people simplify things and don’t like to be complicated..haha!! :)

Deb McCormick August 22, 2014 at 9:13 am

Wow that is interesting and funny. Honestly, I do get it. Really when you think about it, it is called “fast food” for a reason. Maybe people like me who make custom orders are what is breaking the system.